I am spent.
Whatever does that mean?
Just that I find myself in one of those moments when I want to take a week or two to have a bit of a breather. The holiday weekend notwithstanding, the holiday really wasn’t such a big deal to me.
And truth be told, I kind of like it that way.
It wasn’t like the weekend came and I didn’t have stuff to do because I did. I got a chance to go hang out with my family again at the annual barbeque that one of the relatives host and was glad to go. Sure there were a ton of people there and a lot of them that I didn’t know but it still was fun and a welcome break.
See, my schedule has less to do with the days or hours on the calendar and the clock and I have to say on a level I am okay with that.
This weekend I finished this enormous project I have been working on for the last six weeks.
I realized that there are three phases to any project:
The anticipation and excitement that is there at the onset and throughout the first phase of a project.
The anxiety and boredom that comes from having to focus on something for so long after that initial fascination has receded.
The looking back at something and seeing all the things you would like to change or that you would tweak to something once you’ve finished it.
I know I’m not alone in these things, take one look at George Lucas and the ever changing franchise that is the Star Wars movies and you know other people feel it too.
At this point though, I’m just happy to get something off my plate and to move on to the next big thing.
I think the rest of the month is going to be focused more along the lines of getting my own materials together in the attempt to secure some kind of long-term gig.
It’s something that I’ve managed to put off for too long in the hopes that a gig would just materialize on its own but that just doesn’t seem to be happening. I’ve been fortunate enough to be (and to keep) busy, it’s just the long-term thing doesn’t avail itself without effort.
First up is rewriting the resume.
I wrote a version of my resume awhile back and sent it off to a friend at an employment agency only to get the feedback it was the worst resume she had ever seen! I know what the problem was, it was far too much of a narrative than the kind of dry business document these things need to be but, I was having trouble positioning myself to potential employers and also presenting my experience in the best possible light.
See, I know what will be necessary to do something like that but it’s a lot of work and all just to secure a long-term spot somewhere.
The funny thing about the feedback I got was the fact that a few short months later I got a request from the selfsame person who told me the resume was the worst she had ever seen to write a recommendation for her! (LOL) I wasn’t slighted by her feedback and wrote something that I thought was fitting. The funny thing was getting the email from her shortly afterward with her complimenting me by telling me she thought I am a very good writer.
What am I missing here?
Again, I find these things funnier than anything else.
Also, I am thinking I am just about ready for some traveling. I haven’t done any traveling in a good, long time and it may well be time to go and visit the many friends I have around the country. Take the grand tour if you will. Since the kitty queen is not around anymore and I still have yet to replace her, my one big excuse for not going away for a prolonged period is absent and I no longer have a valid excuse to refuse the many invitations I have to visit people.
I love the summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment